- Sun 17 Sep 2017
- Len Lye Centre Cinema
- British Council John Grierson Documentary Series
- Free entry, donations appreciated
- Booking essential
- Free entry tickets will be re-allocated to waiting customers five minutes after screening start time
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked
- Rated: G
This documentary follows the Afghan cricket team in their quest against the odds to qualify for the 2011 World Cup.
Against a backdrop of war and poverty, Storyville: Afghan Cricket Club (aka Out of the Ashes), traces the extraordinary journey of a team of young, Afghan men, as they chase a seemingly impossible dream, shedding new light on a nation beyond that of burqas, bombs, drugs and devastation.
This feature-length documentary premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival.
Backed by BBC Storyville and Oscar-winning director and cricket fan, Sam Mendes, this film follows the squad over two years as they go from playing in their shalwar-kameezes on rubble pitches to batting their way around the globe and up the international league tables.
UK, 2010, Colour, 86 min., Dir. Tim Albone, Lucy Martens and Leslie Knott